안녕하세요?...Welcome to Suray's World & Beyond

where you will see what I treasure and cherish in simple yet wonderful life.


Saturday, April 19, 2014

Spring @ Gyeongbokgung (part 3)

#Pray for everyone affected by Jindo ferry incident. 
--> so, I just hope that everyone, my friends..anyone who happen to read this blog...please try to understand that IF I start posting up my pictures and all of the activities I've been doing for the past weeks (blogging that I've been doing on a daily basis for the past years..), please..believe me that it DOES NOT mean that I am insensitive of what IS happening. I AM and I do. My heart goes out for them.
---------
March 30, 2014

We're back: Pak Ryan, me, and Ismail. Thank to Mr. Ryan who informed us about the ceremony @ Gyeongbokgung. 
Ismail: the adventurous guy. (ㅋㅋㅋ). 
Mr. Ryan who speaks Indonesian quite fluently. His works involved with Korean historical artifact and I was more than happy to have him as a friend as well as an avid guide who kept telling us what the museum had in store for its visitors. 
Hmm..I tried to remember what those were, but one thing for sure..they are dolls inside the Jagyeokru or water clock!! Yes, that's what I learned. During Joseon dynasty ..well ..who would've known that timekeeping was an important factor of daily life. So, by using clock (water clock) that strikes itself...was one of the way government (king) ruled its people. 
Water clocks worked as the liquid flow through layers of layers in a precise manner intricately prepared by its maker, of course. I think this one was made during King Sejong (15th Century).  
When the assigned time struck the designated time..the doll would strike the drum which actually made sound to tell what time it was. Pretty impressive, indeed. 
In short, this water-clock is deemed to be one of the influential inventions in Korean history.  
Jabsang: roof figurines:) or roof-tile decorative creatures adorned the tiles at palaces or royal palaces in Korea. These ones are the ones stored in the museum. 
This is a dragon statue ...said to be found (dug out of) inside the lake near Gyeonghoeru (경회루) pavilion.  
Now...moving on to an experience of becoming a Joseon guard. #more on this on my next entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...