안녕하세요?...Welcome to Suray's World & Beyond

where you will see what I treasure and cherish in simple yet wonderful life.


Wednesday, June 6, 2012

현충일

현충일 (hyeon-chung-il) or the Memorial Day or 'Hari Pahlawan' in Indonesian is today, June 6. While it is November 10 back home in Indonesia.
Anyway, this is holiday after the government designated so dated back in 1976 ( I think--or so I learned).
Just like any other Memorial Day or Hari Pahlawan, today, lots of Koreans, mostly the government officials and I think those related to the day ( though I hope that all of Koreans would do the same) are going to the national heroes cemetery to give some respect to the bravery and sacrifices they made during the hardships faced by Koreans in the past.
Yes, historically speaking, Korea had been in the tumultuous historical and political upheavals, starting from the Japanese colonization and Korean War. The last has been emphasized in the fact that many South Koreans--both soldiers and common people--who died on behalf of their country. In addition to that, there were also lots of foreign soldiers who also died during their service in Korea.
So, I think, today..the Memorial Day in Korea is to honor those (both Koreans and foreign nationals) who have served to protect Korea in the past.
--We should be thankful and respect them.
Thanks to them, we are now able to breathe, walk, and live in Korea as an independent country.
현충일.....that's pretty much of what it is today in Korea.
*Oh, I also learn that there will be a 묵념 (muknyeom) or a moment of silence (mengheningkan cipta in Indonesian) for one minute at 10 in the morning. ( It is yet to happen as I am writing this). 

3 comments:

  1. 어느 나라던 마찬가지겠지만 나라를 위해 목숨바쳐 희생한 그 분 들이 없었다면 지금의 한국인, 지금의 인도네시안이 있을 수 없겠죠. ^^

    올리시는 글 흥미롭게 읽고 있습니다. 아예 follower도 되었구요.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree with you. The simple reason as to why I jot down my thought on today's Memorial Day was the fact that should give our respect and honor to the heroes who sacrificed their life...so that we are now living in the world we are living in now. As for me, I am reflecting myself as someone who is now living in Korea. 'Tis a good feeling to know what day it is today.

      Delete
    2. 저희 블로그를 좋아해서 감사드립니다.
      아....^^ 미국에 계시는군요.
      만나서 반갑습니다.

      Delete

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...