안녕하세요?...Welcome to Suray's World & Beyond

where you will see what I treasure and cherish in simple yet wonderful life.


Friday, June 1, 2012

Arirang

I went to see the Arirang Exhibition at Korean National Folk Museum on May 2012. The exhibition lasted until May 21 so I had the privilege to be able to see it with my own eyes. First thing first, this is the facade of the museum which located just around the corner of Gwanghwamun Palace. It was drizzling (as if the weather itself welcome the exhibits)...

This is the Arirang sign written at the entrance to the hall where the exhibition was held. One more thing: I could not take ANY pictures from the displays inside since it was prohibited. Too bad, right? But, I guess it has some copyrights issue or something. But, it does not matter since I could just remember what I learned and what I saw through the exhibition. And what are those?
I just realized that Arirang is much much more than just a folk song or Korea's most beloved folk song. It shows more like the pinnacle, the pedestal, the essence of Korean life. It transcends all aspects of lives in the minds of Korean people. Who could argue that this now has been unofficially dubbed as another Korean national anthem--sort of like that. Due to its deeply rooted heritage that it has left off, for sure.
So, here are the highlights or wrap ups of what I learned:
1. I guess the government of Korea must'e done so much work to do and lots of rigorous efforts to collect and then compile the myriads arrays of Arirang-related products ranging from small trivial stuffs as simple as pencil case until the once popular disk or any electronic gadgets right until the 90s.
2. I did not know that there used to be Arirang cigarettes! ow nice.^^ Endless types of products whose brands were 'Arirang' were the the highlights of the exbition.
3. A lot of people in Korea sing or lullaby the song in almost every occasion of their life, be it when they are happy or sad. Arirang could just slip into the minds of Koreas' life through its perpetual indication of joy and sorrow at the same time.
4. Last bust not least: Arirang products were mostly of common devices mostly used by the lower and middle classes. This simple fact truly indicates that Arirang does indeed reflect Korean's social reality (up until 90s to be the least).
Koreans should be / must be so proud of having such an intangible heritage called Arirang.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...