안녕하세요?...Welcome to Suray's World & Beyond

where you will see what I treasure and cherish in simple yet wonderful life.


Friday, June 17, 2011

Obat Rasanya……… (One of My Daughter’s Homework Questions)


I happened to help my almost 6 year-old daughter finishing her homework. Yes, she gets homework almost everyday from her kindergarten. And that’s something that I am finally be able to come to terms with….and something that I finally get myself used to.
One day, she got this seemingly trivial-looking question, ” Obat rasaya………………..”. ( Medicine tastes……….) Yes, the homework is a kind of finish-the-sentence kind of homework. Despite the fact that it is still in her prematurely early learning experience (a.k.a. Taman Kanak-Kanak  ’kindergarten’), she has been systematically preoccupied with writing, reading, calculating, and the rest of notions that I had to learn not until I reached the age of 7 or so ..in my SD (elementary school). Hmmm …what a huge difference from the 80’s or 90’s.
(I am not going to talk about the huge difference of educational system back in the 80’s and at present). nope.
I just want to write about that particular question. (Obat rasanya…………………..)
To my surprise, my daughter wrote the word manis ’sweet’ as the answer. Something that I never thought of before. As an adult, and I am sure most of adults, would’ve answered /written the word pahit ‘bitter’ as the answer.
It really slapped me:) to the point that I must’ve been so oblivious of the fact that THIS is my daughter who’s talking. She just recollected all of her previous experiences with obat ‘medicine’. And I knew instantly that THAT was the first notion that must’ve come up to her mind when it came to anything related to obat-obatan ‘medicinal stuffs’.
I just nodded and gigglingly agreed to her answer. I let her wrote the word manis as the answer. Because it was correct.

Then, it was I who was learning. I came to realize that I have to think the way she thinks in her world and the way she sees the world; especially in the cases such as like that. Next time…I always find it amusing to help her do her homework:)


No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...