안녕하세요?...Welcome to Suray's World & Beyond

where you will see what I treasure and cherish in simple yet wonderful life.


Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Royal Tomb of Joseon Dynasty (part 5 )

This is the T-Shaped Shrine (정자각) which I was referring earlier in my previous blog. This serves as the venue for ancestral rites and where the tablet of the deceased is enshrined during the rituals. 
With the burial mound right behind it, the T-shaped shrine is in line with the mound itself. I think it was created in such a way so as to give the direct link between the shrine and the tomb. I wonder it that is the case, though. 
Now. a moment for myself. I was impelled to have a pic of me at least once. I was squatting right underneath the Red Gate which severs as the entrance to the sacred territory. 
It mainly consists of two round pillars spanned by horizontal bars decorated with spikes. (nope..not in the picture, though).
anyway..this is how it looked as I was gazing from the gate. 
what's the pavement?
it's no ordinary pavement. In fact...these two separated lanes are called:
Spirit Road (신도 /sin-do) on the left-side.
&
King's Road (어도 /eo-do) on the right-side. 
These are clearly separated to make sure that people or those visiting the shrines do not walk carelessly on the walkway.

In fact there is a sign reminding visitors to keep off the royal tomb's spirit walkway (신도). again and again...I wonder what would happen if anyone just walk on it... 
the other one (the lower one) is a sign on the king's road; this, too, is informing visitors that they can walk on this path towards the shrine. 
At around 3 pm I was there..and the heat..oh my God...I could assure you...is bearable. ^^ well, it's autumn in essence, though the trees still looked green. 
Before going right into the Shrine, I took a zoomed pic of the stone figures of military guards and civil officials ..symbolizing their loyalty in guiding the royal tomb.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...