안녕하세요?...Welcome to Suray's World & Beyond

where you will see what I treasure and cherish in simple yet wonderful life.


Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Royal Tomb of Joseon Dynasty (part 6)

This is the T-shaped shrine at Jeongneung or the tomb of King Jungjong.
who's he?
He's the 11th ruler of Joseon Dynasty (1488-1544).
and that is enough to make me amazed at how intact the tomb and the shrine are. 
These are ridge tiles on top of the roof. Most of them are animal shaped. What are these? If I am not mistaken, they are japsang (잡상).
I've been admiring these figurines since they do resemble the ones we have back home in Javanese culture. 
As I gazed into the shrine, I could see the laid out tables where the offerings are put in time for the ancestral rites. 
and the window (door?) right through it, we could see the burial mound behind this very shrine.
Up until today, the solemn ancestral rites are designated every year. This kind of legacy is an interesting feature of this royal tomb that people (tourists alike) are looking for.
Now, turn around into the front yard of the shrine, I could now see again the 신도 Spirit Road & the 어도 the King's road that both lead to this shrine.
*once again...I didn't know how to react....to the fact that this shrine is encapsulated within the city.^^
But I guess..since this is within-easy-reach via subway and buses and any other transportation...and the fact that it is right in Gangnam area....I happened to bump into lots of tourists visiting this royal tomb.
But, I guess..only those interested in historical features of Korean culture do visit this place. Others might just go straight to Myeongdong or Namdaemun.:-)
So, I guess this is something that people should consider visiting.
I can assure you that it is a worth-visiting place to get a little more understanding of Joseon  or well, Korean traditional past.
And..what would a historical trip (답사) be without at least a picture of myself in it?
Though I did my own itinerary...and with one-click of the button...zoomed I was in the picture. 
phew..what a day.!!!
Another last glace towards both the T-shape shrine and the burial mound behind it.
Bye-bye....and maybe I will visit again in Autumn or in Winter when all of these are covered in snow? ^^

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...