안녕하세요?...Welcome to Suray's World & Beyond

where you will see what I treasure and cherish in simple yet wonderful life.


Thursday, December 19, 2013

Independence Hall of Korea @ Cheonan

I deliberately put the pictures in small sized in this entry because I didn't bring my camera, so instead these were taken by my not-that-smartphone camera:)
I went to Cheonan in Chungcheong Province. 
visiting the Independence Hall of Korea (독립기념관) with my friends from Indonesia and Mongolia. 
This monument was established in 1982 and I learned that all fund was from citizens who dedicated themselves to preserve the history of Korea's struggle to Independence. 
Especially on Korea's 20th century independence against Japanese imperialism.  
The building visible here is called the Grand Hall of the Nation. I was perplexed by the magnitude of this building. I learned that it is 45 meter tall, and being dubbed as the largest tile-roof in Asia. hmmm...
okay, got a pic with our professor. and then..on the right side..I saw a replica of Sodaemun Gate which I happened to see in Seoul. 
okay, the Plaza of the Nation is so massive in size that it took us about 20 minutes to walk (well veryyy slowly) from the parking lot to this complex. 
This statue was also a symbol of March 1st Movement that initiated Korea's struggle against Japanese colonialism. 
A view from the Hall of the Nation and ..okay..I felt like being in North Korea whenever I saw that painting. Not that I've been there.:) 
Okay, now...let's go around the block and see what the outdoor exhibition had in store. 
This complex has 7 separate museums with different themes from the Old kingdoms in Korea that spanned 5,000 years of history up to the 20th century's history of independence movement.
Oh, one of my favorite is a replica of Hwangryongsa temple (황룡사) with its 9-storey wooden floors. I wish it had not been destroyed by the Mongol invaders....
the exhibition complex here is also dubbed to be the largest in Korea. 
too bad..it had to take us 2-hour long journey from Seoul to be here. 
oh, and this:well..it's a model of the Koreana Tripitaka. (am I right?) what I know is that..it's the collection of Korea's Buddhist scriptures.  
since the complex is huge like I said earlier, it'd better to take a bus!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...