안녕하세요?...Welcome to Suray's World & Beyond

where you will see what I treasure and cherish in simple yet wonderful life.


Thursday, August 11, 2011

11 August 2002

9 years ago I still vividly remember the day I got married.
And...interestingly or should I say...incomprehensibly.....2 days before my wedding, I was still working at Kaltim Prima Coal in Sanggata, a small town in the remote jungle of East Kalimantan. I was at times amazed at the decision to go home just two days before my marriage. But, that was pretty much what happened.
Then, the question is...who did the whole stuffs for the wedding, then?
The answer is quite simple. My wife did.
Then..I found myself in the midst of awkwardness of not being there before the wedding.
But..that is pretty much how it is in the culture right here.
It was the bride's family who will take care of the whole thing.

...then....my turn to prepare for our second wedding party. This time..it was carried out at my parents' house. This time...it was the groom's family who prepared the whole stuffs.
so...that was pretty much how it worked and how it works and possibly how it will work.
now...today...9 years ago...I became a married man.
Now...I have two lovely daughters.

I still remembered how I found it hard to memorize the wedding's vow in front of the penghulu (religous or government official to perform and supervise marriage).
I think I stayed up late...very late...to prepare for this.
Then...I also got to find store at around midnight just to find a frame and a box for the wedding dowry.  :) hehe. I prepared them so late that I did not sleep early. A mixture of anxiety, nervousness, excitement, and  responsibility.                            

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...