안녕하세요?...Welcome to Suray's World & Beyond

where you will see what I treasure and cherish in simple yet wonderful life.


Monday, August 22, 2011

Tarawih @ Kediri, East Java (part 1)


Even before going back home, I had this reminiscence of what I would encounter on the days ahead while I am home: to be exact….I had this notion of the specially observed night prayer that every Muslim should do at night: tarawih. The reason as to why I had this so-called preparation, reminiscence, willingness to think about it is because the tarawih in Kediri, my hometown, would surely be different from the way I am used to do for the past 18 years in Jogjakarta.
Jogjakarta can be considered the basis of Muhammadiyah where tarawih prayer is observed in 11 rakaats (including witir). While on the other hand, East Java, especially my hometown Kediri, can be considered as one of the devout basis of Nahdlatul Ulama where tarawih prayer is observed in 23 rakaats (including the witir ‘ the last’ prayer of the night).
I am not going to venture into the differences between the two in depth; nor will I talk about how they differ; nor will I think about the reasons as to why each became so. No. I am just going to jot down what I felt during my experiences of having been in  a different situation from what I am used to have.
At first, I felt kinda reluctant to go to the Mosque where tarawih is observed in 23 rakaatsJ. So, on the first night of my being home, instead of going to the Musholla near my house, I asked my father where he usually observes the tarawih prayer. He informed me that he always goes to his school where the tarawih is organized by the teachers as well as the students of SMP PGRI Branggahan. When I asked how many rakaats are there to perform, I jumped on my feet upon finding out that it would only be 11 rakaats. That was just what I had expected. Not a chance to miss it.
So, on the first day of the tarawih at home, I found it a bit challenging. Although it was performed in 11 rakaats, I found it different as well. I thought that it was a bit hasty and I could not just keep up with the rhythm. Well, the verses were short, instead of the long verses of Surah that I am used to having back home in Jogjakarta. I guess it was because the jamaah was mainly the students who must know that performing tarawih should not be deemed as a burden. So, the Imam was deliberately using short Surah so as to let the students know that performing prayer ‘sholat’ was not a difficult task to do. They can just use short verses of Surah in praying. I agreed to that.
Then, I was waiting for any kultum (kuliah tujuh menit) or any religious speeches or so. I found none. Instead, I just found some very short speech from the Imam. I guessed it was meant to be the sermon. I presumed so. (to be continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...