안녕하세요?...Welcome to Suray's World & Beyond

where you will see what I treasure and cherish in simple yet wonderful life.


Saturday, March 3, 2012

The National Palace Museum of Korea


...what museum was it?
It was The National Palace Museum of Korea which is located just at the left side of the Gyeongbokgung Palace.  Or, if we arrive from exit number 5 from the subway station, the museum is the first building that would greet us.
So, what was so interesting about this museum?  A LOT!
I think a lot is a relative term, but I meant it. I did not expect to see such a rare collection of Joseon Dynasty in one place like this one. And what's more: It's all FREE. Yes, It is so unbelievable. How could such a majestic museum provides free admission to all visitors. Well, I bet it has quite a lot of support from the government, I suppose.
OK, enough said.
Back to the museum...
Since it was so cold outside, so I decided to take my family to go inside the museum to get ourselves warmed up a bit before continuing our tour....

The first thing that caught my attention was the huuuge painting of the whole area of the former Gyeongbokgung in its glory days. It was absolutely huge.
Then...as I was walking on the first floor...something on the underground floor captured my attention. It was two classic cars being displayed...I loved them.





I like its rear-end:)













I think I like its silvery red-brick color.











I like its horn and its protruding headlights.





I felt like watching the car on TITANIC where Rose and ......(see the point? I should've learned about the history but then...some MOVIE came to my mind:) oh, swell..







But...hey..that did not stop me from learning what kind of cars being displayed there...
I learned that they were the vehicles used by the Empress Sunjeong. They were called limousine back then. Made by UK's Daimler in 1914 (?). 7 seats, 4 cylinders, 20 horsepower engine, lacquered wood for its body; considered to be oldest surviving car in Korea.This car is also useful for the study of Korean automobile under  the Japanese imperialism.


In fact, it is also considered to be one of the three remaining models in the world. Beat that!




No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...