안녕하세요?...Welcome to Suray's World & Beyond

where you will see what I treasure and cherish in simple yet wonderful life.


Monday, July 22, 2013

A Statement by President Barack Obama on the Occasion of Ramadan

*First,  I find it quite an intriguingly funny *yet a very important* acknowledgment from one of the prominent world figures. I mean, why is it that a message on Ramadan from Mr. Obama is more widely 'read and cited' while those from other world leaders are not.Why? I asked myself....why?  Should I say 'others are being disregarded'? Hmm..one thing for sure, I think it's all coming back to the fact that Mr. Obama IS the president of the USA. Hello??? it's USA. So, of course ...what he says DOES matter. Although I am sure that others would not easily buy that. So, then....what's the point of me...putting his message on my blog? hmm...it turns out that his message IS indeed a very good message for all of us irrespective of who we are, whether we are Muslim or not. I guess..it's one thing that urged me in the first place to 're-write' what he says and jot it down into my blog. Apart from that, it so happened that Mr. Obama finally made a comment on Trayvon Martin's case last week, by saying 'Trayvon could have been me 35 years ago'. Upon reading his remark, I remembered again about his message on this Ramadan. I know it does not have a direct correlation or whatsoever, but I highlight some sentences.....so as to make me reflect on what's currently going on around us.
And that's why I also want to put his remarks on my blog. 
Another way of me saying: 'let me make this year's message from Mr. Obama as one of the historical legacies from him'--which I think 'worth-reading, worth-remembering, worth-discerning' and for that alone..I thank him for putting his message in words. 

So, here it goes:

The White House July 08, 2013
President Barack Obama

With the start of the sacred month of Ramadan, Michelle and I extend our best wishes to Muslim communities here in the United States and around the world. For the world's 1.5 billion Muslims, Ramadan is a time for thoughtful reflection, fasting and devotion. It is also an opportunity for family and friends to come together and celebrate the principles that bind people of different faiths--a commitment to peace, justice, equality and compassion towards our fellow human beings. These bonds are far stronger than the differences that too often drive us apart. 
This month also reminds us that freedom, dignity and opportunity are the undeniable rights of all mankind. We reflect on these universal values at a time when many citizens across Middle East and North Africa continue to strive for these basic rights and as millions of refugees mark Ramadan far from their homes. The United States stands with those who are working to build a world where all people can write their own future and practice their faith freely, without fear of violence. 
In the United States, Ramadan is a reminder that millions of Muslim Americans enrich our nation each day--serving in our government, leading scientific breakthroughs, generating jobs and caring for our neighbors in need. I have been honored to host an iftar dinner at the White House each of the past four years, and this year I look forward to welcoming Muslim Americans who are contributing to our country as entrepreneurs, activists and artists. 
I wish Muslims across America and around the world a month blessed with the joys of family, peace and understanding. Ramadan Kareem. 

* Oh, I am so glad to find out that his message is also translated into Korean, as well. So, I might as well put it down here.

백악관 2013년 7월 8일
오바마 미국 대통령

라마단 성월의 시작을 맞이하여 저와 제 아내 미셀은 미국을 비롯한 세계 각지의 무슬림 사회에 진심으로 축복을 기원합니다. 전 세계 15억 무슬림인들에게 라마단은 차분한 성찰과 금식 그리고 헌신의 시간입니다. 또한, 가족과 친지가 한자리에 모여서 종교를 초월하여 전 인류를 하난로 묶는 숭고한 원칙들을--평화, 정의, 평등을 추구하는 의지 그리고 인류에 대한 연민을--되새기는 시간이기도 합니다. 이러한 유대는 너무나도 자주 인류를 분열시키곤 하는 갈등과 반목보다 훨씬 더 강합니다. 
라마단 성월은 인간의 자유와 존업 그리고 기회가 그 누구도 부인할 수 없는 권리라는 사실을 다시 한번  일깨워줍니다. 중동과 북아프리카 지역의 수많은 주민들이 이 기본권을 보장받기 위해 끊입없이 투쟁하고 있으며 수백만 난민이 머나먼 타향에서 라마단을 기념하고 있는 상황에서 우리는 이 보편적인 가치에 대해 숙고해보는 기회를 갖고자합니다. 미국은 폭력에 대한 두려움에 떨지 않고 누구나 자신의 미래을 개척하고 자유롭게 신앙을 추구할 수 있는 세상을 건설하고자 노력하는 이들의 편에 서 있습니다.
미국의  라마단은 수백만 명의 이슬람계 미국인들이--공무원으로서 국가에 봉사하고 과학기술을 선도하며 일자리를 창출하며 불우한 이웃을 도우면서--국가를  부강하게 만들고 있다는 사실을 상기시켜줍니다. 저는 지난 4년간 해마다 백악관에서 이프타르 만찬을 주관하는 영광을 누렸으며 올해에는 국가 발전에 게여한 무슬림 기업인, 활동가, 예술인들 초청할 계획입니다. 
미국을 비롯한 전 세계의 무슬림들에게 가족애와 평화 그리고 이해로 층망한 축복된 성월을 기원합니다. '라마단 카림'.

2 comments:

  1. Salam..hi.. its look like you have visited many countries around the world..such interesting..!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salam, Wahnan Asliyam. Around the world? No, I haven't actually. OF course, I want to do so. ^^ Thanks for dropping by @ my blog. Salam...

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...