안녕하세요?...Welcome to Suray's World & Beyond

where you will see what I treasure and cherish in simple yet wonderful life.


Tuesday, September 27, 2011

다다익선(多多益善)

다다익선 (dadaikseon) means 많으면 많을수록 좋다 'the more, the better' or 'the more the merrier'
We were talking about this proverb (?) in the class. Wait...is it a proverb?  or is it just a phrase(?) gosh...how come I got confused as to define and to categorize this one?
Anyhow, I won't get myself stuck with this seemingly trivial (though important to some linguists) notion.
So, as we were talking about this, one of my friends was intrigued by the idea of having more girls, the better it'll be. And that's his disposition.
But, when he was challenged by an argument stating that supposed the quantity of the girls is not the issue being concerned about; instead, it was the girl's age being 'the more', he was somewhat aghast as to whether he should like the idea of 다다익선. :)
However, on a split second, being a smart one, he said that he'd rather have 소소익선 (sosoikseon) which means 적으면 적을 수록 좋다 'the less, the better' ^^
The thing is.....is there such a proverb(?) as 소소익선 in Korean, despite the fact that it is possible in English 'the less, the better'. Well, I do not know it myself. Maybe there is. It's just that I cannot find it, as yet.
One thing for sure, I acknowledged the wittiness of my colleague  for being the smart one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...