안녕하세요?...Welcome to Suray's World & Beyond

where you will see what I treasure and cherish in simple yet wonderful life.


Saturday, July 20, 2013

Namhansanseong (Namhan Mountain Fortress): Part 6

I learned that it was completed in 1624. But then what surprised me the most was the fact that 5-km-long fortress was initially built even during the Three Kingdom Period! That means around 57 B.C. Oh.... 
Since I am not into historical numbers or any dates to deal with, I might as well go and look around what this South Gate was all about. First, I noticed at the gate itself. I wonder if that was the original plate used from the beginning. But, I doubted it since it looked like it was made of iron. 
Enough with any doubts, the mere fact that I could just admire its simple beauty was more than what I could ask for. Once again, I did not expect anything prior to go on a hike to reach this gate. 
An afternoon well-spent! 
The South main gate. One of the gates at Namhansanseong or Namhan Fortress. Histories recorded lots of events like the Manchu invasion, the refuge by the royal family, even as a stronghold of resistance during Japanese occupation. 
The height of the fortress perimeter ranges from 3 to 7 meters, but thanks to its steep slopes surrounding them had proven to be one of the key factors in keeping these gates intact. 
My last photo of the South Gate taken in illustration mode. 
Bye, Namhansanseong!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...