안녕하세요?...Welcome to Suray's World & Beyond

where you will see what I treasure and cherish in simple yet wonderful life.


Tuesday, September 27, 2011

What I learned in the first day of class (part 3)

Korean language does have its own difficult terms in expressing some notions that I found it easier to grasp in English. So, learning Korean language does require my rigorous perseverance in order to have the slightest idea of, say, what a particular terms or expressions mean. Here are some of them.
1. 무릎을 꿇고 앉다 'sit on one's knees' or ' duduk bertekuk lutut' in Indonesian.
2. 팔짱을 끼다 'fold one's arms' or 'bersedekap' in Indonesian.
3. 턱을 꾀다 'rest one's chin on one's hands' or 'menopang dagu' in Indonesian or 'songgo wang' in Javanese
4. 양반다리를 하다 'sit crossed-leg' or 'duduk bersila' in Indonesian

Nope, I am not gonna elaborate the lexical or grammatical differences (should there be any)...coz I cannot. It would cost me an arm and a leg to do that. Instead, I'm just gonna jot down the notion concerning the no.4 term. It is arguably true that sitting crossed-leg in front of other people especially those of elder ages is considered as being rude or socially insensitive in Korean society. It would be obnoxious to find an intern or a  job interviewee do this on their job or in the interview. It is likely that he/she would not have a chance of passing the test.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...