안녕하세요?...Welcome to Suray's World & Beyond

where you will see what I treasure and cherish in simple yet wonderful life.


Tuesday, September 27, 2011

What I learned in the first day of class (part 1)

Here are what I learned from the first class. It turned out that I do not know a lot of stuffs. ^.^. I feel like being in a fishbowl where everything is visible, yet unreachable. So, I decided to live in a huge fishbowl by imagining that the whole Korea is a huge fishbowl for me so as to give in to endless arrays of new things I can learn during my stay in Korea.
hmmmm...let's see.
1. I learned the difference between the word 초대장 and 정첩장. First, I thought the there was only the first word in Korean language, it turned out that the first one is the general term for 'invitation', but then, the second term being the special term for 'wedding invitation'...that is something that I did not know of.
2. I learned these words before, i.e. 생일 and 생신. The first one being the general term for any 'birthday', while the second on being the polite form of the first word to address those of elders' birthday.
3. Then there are the terms called  회갑 and 고희. The first one is a celebration to commemorate one's 60th years of age; the second one being the 70th birthday. In the olden days of Korea, being able to achieve 60th years of age was considered an achievement in itself, considering the hardness and troubled times Korea had back then. All of the family, relatives, up to the grandchildren gathered to congratulate the elders on this auspicious day. But, since the economic development set in, more and more Korean do live exceeding the 70th years of age. Since then, nowadays, the 회갑 is not commonly practiced. Instead, they have the latter one or better yet..the 80th or 90th birthday. (hmmm...I do not know what the terms in Korean are for these ones). 옛날에는 회갑을 자주 했는데 요세는 60살까지 (넘어) 살 수 있는 한국인들이 많아지기때문에 특별하게 축하할 필요가 아마 앖다. 대신, 70살의 축하하는 생신 (고희)를 한다.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...