안녕하세요?...Welcome to Suray's World & Beyond

where you will see what I treasure and cherish in simple yet wonderful life.


Thursday, September 15, 2011

2 Weeks Without Cell Phone:)

I never thought that it IS possible to live without cellular phone.
But, wait...it does not mean that I did not 'suffer' from being disconnected from my friends here.
So, instead of cell phone, I have been using the internet to keep myself connected with my friends, be it via Skype, e-mail, Facebook, or Yahoo messenger. That's pretty much what I've been clinging into...:)

The simple fact as to why I do not (yet) have any phones in Korea is that I have not yet received my identification card known as Alien Registration Card. Yes, you read it correctly, ALIEN card not foreigner card:) That's cool, eh?
So, I got to wait till I got one of these so that I can buy a phone or smartphone (Horrayyy)*just like most of Koreans do have right here.
* I think Smartphone outperform the selling of Blackberry here (a completely different story from what we have back home in Indonesia) :) But, due to its highly tapped price, I do not think that I would buy any smartphone. Instead, I am thinking of getting any regular phone since I am just going to use it for calling and texting. No more than that. As for the internet, I got  my internet access 24/7 and got my LG cellphone I brought from home for any camera use.:)
See the point?
Having an Alien Card will open up wider possibilities of what I can do right here. I can be a member of any bookstores, or any markets that ( who knows) would have a discount or sale program on their stuffs.

Apart from being a bit 'upset' by the time I got to spend in waiting before buying the phone, I also get pretty intrigued and gnawed by the fact that most smartphone or cellphones in Korea do not have simcard!!! It is completely different from other countries. Even if some phones do have a slot to insert a simcard...the simcard somewhat comes in different shapes and sizes.:) LOL :)
The funny thing is that...I got this LG cellphone...for sure it is Korea-brand...but it turn out that I can not even use it here. Even, most Koreans do not know the types of LG phones that I brought from home.
Yes, welcome to Korea where most of the stuffs are truly made in and made for Korea/Koreans:)
I wish...I could use my phone here:) *sigh*

And..then I also find out that the system of purchasing smartphone is slightly...no....greatly different from what I usually have in Indonesia or in any other Southeast Asian countries. Since Smart Phones are truly expensive, the sellers, stores have a bundling system in which the customers are required to make an agreement of using the phones for at least 2 years on conditions that they will pay monthly subscription fee--the amount of which depends on the features or services we are applying for.

Hmmm.... I guess it is truly enticing enough, but on the other hand...I still kind of think that it might be enough for me to have a regular phone instead of Smart Phones. Time will prove as to whether I will have either one.




No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...