안녕하세요?...Welcome to Suray's World & Beyond

where you will see what I treasure and cherish in simple yet wonderful life.


Sunday, September 4, 2011

Ulsori: The Spiritual Music Ritual

한충은의 첫 솔로 엘범 'morning'
This is a name of a musical performance conducted by the HUFS students' club on Korean traditional music. I got a chance to be there since my friend, Min Seonhee invited me to see her perform. She has been practicing gayageum for months and it was her time to show her ability in playing the gayageum.

The show started ad 6 pm on Sept. 3 at BRICs hall at the graduate school.


쇼스타코비치의 Waltz No.
Ok. let me just just down what I saw during the show. I may not put the pictures in accordance to the captions or explanations about what I saw, simply because the whole thing was new for me. I know nothing about this traditional instrument, let alone explain something about it.


Anyway..the show was divided into two acts. First: traditional Korean musical instruments; the second one was a kind of fusion between Korean musical instruments and Modern ones. Here are the list of shows:


수연장지곡

1. suyeonjangjigok (수연장지곡). Judging from what I saw, it was similar like that of Javanese gamelan orchestra in a way that a group of people were playing several instruments in a coordinated ensemble and rhythm. The players were wearing red robes and traditional Korean black hats that I have seen in many drama or movies portraying the Joseon Dinasty era.





단소 (?)

2. Then, there was a danso (단소), 캐논 3중주, 출강, 염불 도드리, 터령....(????) so many foreign names that I never know for sure if they have any meanings at all. I presume they do. But judging from the fact that they are all accompanied by their Hanja characters, they must have had difficult meaning to comprehend:)

3..and the rest are arrays of simply Korean traditional percussion or any other instruments that I am not familiar with, even with their names.



So...I might as well jot down the names of the instruments so as to make me remember what I saw:

janggu (장구); gayageum (가야금) which includes 고음 가야금, 중음 가야금, & 저음 가야금; geomungo (거문고); haegeum (해금); piri (피리); danso (단소); sogeum (소금) and of course...there were piano, drum, cello, and guitar.
I do not think I have to explain what they are....because they are all googleable :) .....I had a fun time there.



No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...